Aquatics Anonymous

The place fish-aholics come to feed their addiction!

Raptors 110 build log

lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Raptors 110 build log

Post by lordraptor1 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:05 pm

well i wanted to get some more done before starting the build log but i figure i might as well get started on it LOL. ok the tank has arrived, now for the perverbial walk around.

upon my walkaround inspection (i personally do this with all tanks just to get a list of what i need to get for them) i ran into a couple of snags right off of the bat, first ( and most serious issue is the glass top brace is missing, not to big of a problem except finding a 1/2" peice of glass the right size or even finding a place that will keep half inch thick glass in stock, (to anyone that ever gets a tank that has a top brace dont remove it especially on larger tanks of 90 plus gallons, on these older oceanic tanks the glass top brace was part of the structural support for the tank)as previously stated this is not difficult to fix but i have no clue of any shops here in town that keep half inch thick glass in stock, if i am lucky i will find a scrap peice at this glass shop a few blocks from my house when i go talk to them tomorrow.

so to continue the old walkaround i hit the second issue there seems to be a missing overflow HMMMM i wonder where it is at

AHHH FOUND IT !!!!! ( this is a strange place for it, hiding behind the other one and siliconed together to make a box)

now i find a couple more issues but i neglected to take pics and just fixed them straight away, some teeth on the overflows were missing and i lucked out having a small peice of black acrylic from an old overflow box peice adn it is glues together with some high quality superglue which will hold up to saltwater adn forever to having used it to mount coral frags quite a bit.

well since i currently have no glass to make a top brace or silicone to install it or replace the overflows i jumped ahead to making the electical outlet panel for under the stand which will be wired up making the outlets equivelent to 3 plug bars which i swhat i am using on the 90 now. it will be a total of 9 electrical outlets with 3 of them arranges so i can run my light timers without blocking other outlets.

lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Raptors 110 build log

Post by lordraptor1 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm

time for an update, i have been using scrap plywood i had floating around to skin the stand and it is coming along nicely. keep in mind it will eventually be black and i am using teh white as a primer/sealer.

so here is a pic of it skinned, notice teh glass under it? that is the 55 i got from Terry that i tore apart to cut down to make the fuge.

stand is now painted

all i have left on the stand is doors and trim (not sure which i want to tackle first but i am thinking of the doors first.)
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:45 pm

time for an update (finally) LOL. ok the 55 has been cut down and reassembled now and the baffles are in place and the silicone is curing, i have also used some of the glass that was cut off of the long sides of the 55 to make my tank top brace (i made 2 4" wide braces instead of the single long one it originally had). there are a few teeth that broke off during cutting which i will replace once the silicon on the baffles cures and i get the refugium water tested.

update the fuge leak testing has begun, once it is complete it will be installed under teh stand and i will be ready to start plumbing it up, buliding the doors, and trimming out the stand (soon as funds permit)

keep in mind this tank was completely disassembled and cut down, it began as a 55 gallon and now is more like a 45 long (couldnt get mor DIY than that can you )

ok fuge is now water tested and installed, just have to plumb up the underside of the standwith drain and returns although i am lacking funds for that at the moment to get the plumbing supplies and return pump/pumps.

ok i now have the standpipes made (except the loc-line on the returns). i have also finished the under cabinet drain plumbing which i will get a pic of when i can get some better lighting. here are pics of the standpipes (i will get a DIY articale done as soon as i can get some time).

lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:58 pm

ok i know its been awhile but the lights are up and running (yes i know they overhang seeing as tehy are for a 72" long tank and the 110 is only 60" long LOL). anyway it started out as a headache wiring it back up, i either had fans, or lights, turns out that the way i wanted to run the fans was a no go (after openng the ballast case and looking at the wiring). teh fans are wired into the switch that turns on 2 of the bulbs and the switch that turned on the single bulb get no fan love . anyway for your enjoyment, pic of teh tank with the MH fixture on it and lit up (and yes it is really bright and overpowers the ceiling light in the room but the pic is with the room lights out.

well its been a while but the 110 is officially circulating sw WOO HOO. here are some pics (please forgive the cloudy water as it has not settled in yet):

now all i need is for some rock for it, i am in need of 150 lbs total of live rock or a mix of live rock and base rock

well i went to gettign some live rockl out of the 90 to put in the 110 and ended up using almost all of the rock out of the 90 LOL. i also put the 2 clowns, my tiny lta, and my other lemon damsel in also, unfortunatley most of my big peices had corals on them so i am hoping they dont die because the 110 wasnt cycled yet and my test kit is still showing ammonia and nitrites (crossing my fingers). my twin spot hog, flame angel, foxface, adn regal are still in the 90 because there is no algae growth in the 110 yet. anyway here is a pic for all to enjoy

Tanyaq2000
    private
    private

Post by Tanyaq2000 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Awesome! great job! I like the lite hanging off the sides...
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:29 pm

making fun of the extra long fixture lol!
    Raschael
    private
    private

Post by Raschael on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Thats a lot of pictures!! Looks good!
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Raschael wrote:Thats a lot of pictures!! Looks good!

yeah i just condensed it on this forum, i just have 3 more fish to add and then i can get the 90 ready for the lionfish and the porcupine puffer. and thanks.
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:18 pm

I can't wait to see the live rock grow! this is going to look awesome i think:D
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 pm

all i have left is add my last 2 fish and let it clear up and it will be finished LOL

leon
    private
    private

Post by leon on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:07 am

nice job lol
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:23 am

thanks leon

Tinman
    PFC
    PFC

Post by Tinman on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm

I like customs ,great build
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:53 am

thank you tinman, i only wish i could have found a 60" light fixture instead of this 72" one LOL

Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:02 am

yeah i am facing the same problem for my ten gallonXD i could only find a 24 in light thingy instead of a 20 soapbox
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:05 am

yeah you will pretty much have to either go with a retrofit or get a hood for a 10 gallon

Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 am

i decided to just go a little larger and deal with the ugly (got one of the kits so its just some subtle overhang, of 6 inches) because i might upgrade the ten gallon to a twenty and that lighting fits a twenty:D
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 am

DIY thumbsup

micah

Post by micah on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Very nice, stuff like this...... makes me want a bigger tank. Looks great lord
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:21 pm

micah wrote:Very nice, stuff like this...... makes me want a bigger tank. Looks great lord

thanks micah, i still need to make some doors for teh stand and i also ned to make something to hold the light because it is actually a little closer to the surface of the water than i like (causeing me to top off 2.5 gallons per day LOL)

micah

Post by micah on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 pm

jaw drop Holy crap!!!! And i get mad i have to add a gallon a week lol!
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

micah wrote:jaw drop Holy crap!!!! And i get mad i have to add a gallon a week lol!

yeah unfortunately the metal halides are putting off teh heat making the water evap so i need to make somethign to get the lights higher off of the water (probably like 12" off of the water LOL)

Tinman
    PFC
    PFC

Post by Tinman on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:22 pm

You need holes in each side or above the light and a fan or two from an old computer . They do put of a lot of heat but you can divert it to a point , maybe enough to sort out the loss ,water can not evaporate unless it can escape so a tighter top may help too. .....Tinman , the 29 year electrician..... My buddys 11 ' x 4 ' tank has three coolers on it to combat this issue
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Tinman wrote:You need holes in each side or above the light and a fan or two from an old computer . They do put of a lot of heat but you can divert it to a point , maybe enough to sort out the loss ,water can not evaporate unless it can escape so a tighter top may help too. .....Tinman , the 29 year electrician..... My buddys 11 ' x 4 ' tank has three coolers on it to combat this issue

the fixture already has fans installed, 2 large sized 110v ac powered fans to be exact. till it is causing water to evap.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:03 pm