Aquatics Anonymous

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aquatics Anonymous

The place fish-aholics come to feed their addiction!

+4
fish guy
Raschael
Storylover
lordraptor1
8 posters

february FOTM is the magnificent foxface

lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

february FOTM is the magnificent foxface Empty february FOTM is the magnificent foxface

Post by lordraptor1 Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 am

february FOTM is the magnificent foxface Mag_fo11

the magnificent foxface (also known as majestic foxface, and metallic foxface), latin name siganus magnifica is an extremely rare foxface that is an excellent aquarium fish that does well in captivity. the foxface is in the rabbitfish family and this particular variant can be from 3" to 7" in captivity although there have been a few that have grown larger.

the magnificent foxface ( as well as others) have been called sawblades due to their dorsal and anal spines having a somewhat likeness to a sawblade.

please note (ALL FOXFACES ARE VENOMOUS DO NOT HANDLE THEM) the poison comes through their dorsal and anal fins.

the magnificent foxface is native to the indo pacific region.

they are herbivores but should be provided with a variety of frozen, flake, and dried algae sheets they will also graze upon algae on your live rocks and glass (or acrylic depending on what your tank is made out of)

the foxface should NOT be kept in takes smaller than 55 gallons due to the sizes they can reach.

it is an excellent reef fish and is completely reef safe and since it will graze on algae it make it excellent in controlling some forms of algae.

there are other foxfaces that are easier to acquire that will also suit the needs for aquarist's. the magnificent are rare and not available all of the time commanding a higher price tag (119.00 for a 3" to 4", 139.00 for 4 to 5", 149.00 for 5 to 7" at online e-tailers while some of the few larger than 7" (also called show size) can bring 250.00 to 300.00).

this one (like all other foxfaces spook easily and will darken up and will take time to acclimate to heavy foot traffic around the tank but will still darken up
    and show stress colors all the time, this is nothing to worry about and is normal.

lighting and water conditions:

care level: easy
    temperature: 72 to 78F
    PH: 8.2 to 8.4
    temperament: peaceful
    reef safe: yes (if you see it picking on your corals it may actually be grazing upon algae and NOT the coral itself)
    diet: herbivore provide a variety of frozen, flake, algae sheets (seaweed/kelp) and it will also graze on algae.
    origin: indo pacific
    minimum tank size: 55 gallons.
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

february FOTM is the magnificent foxface Empty Re: february FOTM is the magnificent foxface

Post by Storylover Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:26 am

And this is why I can't wait to start a saltwater tank:)
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

february FOTM is the magnificent foxface Empty Re: february FOTM is the magnificent foxface

Post by lordraptor1 Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:34 am

yeah well i am willing to offer assistance when needed that is actually a pic of my foxface. feel free to jump into chat at any time
    Raschael
    Raschael
    private
    private

Post by Raschael Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:47 pm

I wanna do sw too Smile
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Raschael wrote:I wanna do sw too Smile

it really not that hard rasch LOL
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 pm

i hope its not cuz by the time i get a tank, i am going to be a college junior and working my butt off. Sigh.
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 am

Storylover wrote:i hope its not cuz by the time i get a tank, i am going to be a college junior and working my butt off. Sigh.

start with a small tank to keep cost down but make sure you keep on top of it because smaller tanks can have stuff go wrong fast, this is why i prefer tanks of 55 gallons or larger
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:21 pm

yeah since the college i have my eye on only allows 20 gallon tanks, ill do a nano reef tank probably, and I would keep a very close eye on it.
    fish guy
    corporal
    corporal

Post by fish guy Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Nice foxface. I've many of them. I feel the bigger tanks are easier because of the water parameters. Longer to change. Temp.also.
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:16 pm

fish guy wrote:Nice foxface. I've many of them. I feel the bigger tanks are easier because of the water parameters. Longer to change. Temp.also.

yes i agree this is why i normally recommend tanks of 55 gallons or larger but some people just do not have the space for a tank of that size or are o limited funds. main thing with a smaller tank is go slow and do your waterchanges regularly
    MIKEJ02266
    MIKEJ02266
    private
    private

Post by MIKEJ02266 Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:39 pm

Would a 40 breeder with a built in over-flow work. Also has an eheim pro II and an 802 pre-filtered powerhead
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:09 pm

MIKEJ02266 wrote:Would a 40 breeder with a built in over-flow work. Also has an eheim pro II and an 802 pre-filtered powerhead

yes that would work for a small reef tank, however you will be limited on certain things like tangs ( will outgrow fast)
    Angelbaby
    Angelbaby
    private
    private

Post by Angelbaby Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Wow, it's always been the dream to have a sw tank. Just a dream for now....but you never know!
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:55 pm

when you are ready to try it fel free to ask questions and browse the slatwater section i will be glad to assist you wiht information.
    micah
    micah

Post by micah Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Great looking fish, good info! Thanks Lord.
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:50 pm

micah wrote:Great looking fish, good info! Thanks Lord.

np, we need a march FOTM, anyone got one they would like to share as march FOTM?
    micah
    micah

Post by micah Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 pm

I can do it if you would like! Get a fw up here.
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:59 pm

micah wrote:I can do it if you would like! Get a fw up here.

yes micah please do, i would like to alternate monthly fotm 's. last month salty, this month fresh next month salt. i feel that way is best to accomodate both groups of people
    drudown66
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 am

what if we do 4 months sw and 1/2 a month of fw lol
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51 am

drudown66 wrote:what if we do 4 months sw and 1/2 a month of fw lol

ummm how about no lol!
    drudown66
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:53 am

geez just thought it was a great ideal to improve the forum lol
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 am

drudown66 wrote:geez just thought it was a great ideal to improve the forum lol

i want to keep things as even as possible here, unlike that other forum

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am