Aquatics Anonymous

The place fish-aholics come to feed their addiction!

sw ich

lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

sw ich

Post by lordraptor1 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:21 am

sw ich can be scary in a sw tank. the fish most prone to get it are tangs and angels, a treatement of high temp and low salinity is best treatment as well as running a uv sterilizer with a low flow rate through it to kill off the paraties in the water column. as a last resort if the ich doesnt get better you could put n a QT tank with high temp low salinity and treat with cupramine (copper). NEVER treat your main tank with copper though

steelhead
    Admin
    Admin

Re: sw ich

Post by steelhead on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 am

it's odd with sw you raise the temp and lower salinity

and fw you raise the temp and salinity Very Happy
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:34 pm

steelhead wrote:it's odd with sw you raise the temp and lower salinity

and fw you raise the temp and salinity Very Happy

i know, kinda strange isnt it. the reason for lowerig the salinity is becasue in sw the salinity is already high (1.021 to 1.024)and the ich that lives in this enviroment has adapted to high salinity concentrations but is not adapted to low salinity. but i agree it is really odd how things differfrom sw to fw

turbovr3six
    private
    private

Post by turbovr3six on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:30 am

any time i recieved a sick fish(ich)i give it a RODI dip... put the fish in RODI FRESHWATER(ZERO salt)... make sure its RODI and not just tap... place the fish in there until it becomes extremely sluggish, almost on the virge of death(i know this sounds like tourture but its only harmful during the process).... then place the fish in a tank with SW... let it regain itself and dip again if nessary... you will see all the little white ich parasites literally jumping off the fish. once you feel you have got all the external parasites off the specimen then place it in a SW tank to regain itself again, then add it to the main aquarium.... this might sound cruel but ive never lost a fish do to sickness when i performed this method. after the fish has been introduced back into the main aquarium, feed with amino acid and garlic enriched food to help fight off whats left and encourge appatite.. hope this helps
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:37 am

does that process kill ich?? is that what the point is? or do you juss keep a eye on it till it leave its host but it remains in the water?? just wondering since i have not heard of this method
    turbovr3six
    private
    private

Post by turbovr3six on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 am

drudown66 wrote:does that process kill ich?? is that what the point is? or do you juss keep a eye on it till it leave its host but it remains in the water?? just wondering since i have not heard of this method
    kills it and rids it from the fish
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:43 am

nice. bro if you see this message im in chat if you wanna come in.
    micah

Post by micah on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:58 pm

That's interesting. Now that i think about it, it seems like it would be very effective. Who needs expensive chemicals when you can just do this? Lol. I like that idea, thanks for the contribution.
    frankenstein
    PFC
    PFC

Post by frankenstein on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm

i lost every fish i had in my 55 due to ich, its one of the major reasons why i downgraded tank sizes. ich can seriously devistate someones tank, thanks for sharing a way to help with ich. another way i have read that sounds like it would be preety effective is, get two ten gallon tanks fill them up, put the infected fish in one of the tanks. when you see that the fish has no more white dots, take the fish out and put him in the other tank. drain and disinfect the other tank, refill the tank and keep repeating the process till you see that the fish is ich free. i forgot where i seen this at but if i remember correctly the ich was gone in a week. hope this helps

didnt mean to highjack but i figured we can keep all remedies in one post

fish guy
    corporal
    corporal

Post by fish guy on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:24 am

You can do the reverse process with freashwater.
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:38 am

dumb question. does ich have any affect on corals??
    frankenstein
    PFC
    PFC

Post by frankenstein on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 am

no doesnt effect invertabrates
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 am

fw dips do work and the ich will fall off of the fish into the freswter you will toss outwhen finished. with that said here is the KEY thing to remember, not all fish will respond to this treatement and some will definately die off from the shock caused by this method. so for a general rule of thumb for a fw dip use the following:

1. is the ich really bad on the fish or is it just spots here and there (in other words does the fish looked like it was dipped into a bucket of pretzel salt or is they less than that?)

2. read up on the fish to see how stress affects them (tangs and angels for example can get ich just from stressing out which a fw dip will most likely cause even more ich)

3. be prepared to lose it (if you are prepared to lose it and you do you will at least be ready, if you are prepared and it lives then you can give yourself kudos)

i have seen numerous fish fw dipped and i can tell you out of all of them i have only seen 1 tang survive a fw dip (mine, which is why i bought him from the lfs LOL)) and no angels survive, i have seen a 50% rate with clowns. the best way is to put the fish in a fw dip for 5 to 10 minutes but no longer. i dont recommend fw dips for beginners until you have been around someone who has done it and you learn first. if done incorrectly you could lose your fish from the fw dip itself and not the ich.

dukeonelove
    PFC
    PFC

Post by dukeonelove on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Very good info lordraptor1 thank u for the tip.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm