Aquatics Anonymous

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aquatics Anonymous

The place fish-aholics come to feed their addiction!

4 posters

Multi tank sump system

rwdillard
    rwdillard
    private
    private

Multi tank sump system Empty Multi tank sump system

Post by rwdillard Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Ok here we go!

I have 4-20 gal tanks I want to set up for breeding my Angels. I am building a stand (the tanks will be 2 high and 2 wide).

I want to drill the tanks for gravity feed (I will purchase diamond hole glass cutters).

I want a sump system with a single pump and heater.

My questions are:

1. What diameter should I drill the tanks?
    2. What depth should I drill the holes?
    3. What diameter PVC should I use?
    4. How do I seal the tank where the PVC pipe enters?
    5. How large a sump go I need?
    6. Is it possible to build my own sump?
    7. What size pump do I need i.e. gph rating?
    8. What watt heater do I need?
    9. Do I need a bio-ball box?

I am sure I missed some important questions, but I figure someone that has this type of set up may be able to help out.

I think you can see where I am going with this.... I have no idea how to set this up and all the stores want to sell me very expensive sump reservoirs with a bio-box attached on the inside etc.going broke

Any help, advice, or links would be most appreciated.

Richard stupid

P.S. I am very handy at building things; I usually just need a template or instructions
    fish guy
    corporal
    corporal

Multi tank sump system Empty Re: Multi tank sump system

Post by fish guy Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:06 pm

1thur 3 you will need bulk head fittings. That will determine hole size. Tempered glass will shatter. The rest I can't answer.
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:08 pm

lots of questions there but i might be able to help you out. i myself do saltwater but basically what you are asking about is similar to what i use with my reef ready tanks. ok with that said i dont really know about 20 gallon tqanks, but in the case of a 55 gallon i would say use 1" pvc (with appropriate bulkheads, bulkheads come with gaskets for teh bulkhead/glass part to seal leaking. and i would suggest a sump that is large enough to contain overflow in teh case of a power outage (a 20L is what i used on my old 55), and for a return pump you need to factor in a few things (height of tank trim from hieght of pump). on my 55 that was 5 feet from pump to top of tank and basically a straight shot (no elbows or major turns in plumbing) i used a 1" bulkhead with 1" pvc plumbing and ran a mag 7 internal pump. i had valves on the drain and return lines to adjust the flow if i needed to.

if the glass is tempered dont waste your time because it will shatter although you have a 50/50 change of the glass breaking whiledrilling anyway, best i can say iskeep runnign water going to keep tool and glass cool and let teh tool do the work. you can make your own sump/fuge out of acrylic or glass just make sure to use type 1 silicone for glass or weldon 3 for acrylic. hope this helps you
    turbovr3six
    turbovr3six
    private
    private

Post by turbovr3six Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 am

rwdillard wrote:

My questions are:

1. What diameter should I drill the tanks?
    2. What depth should I drill the holes?
    3. What diameter PVC should I use?
    4. How do I seal the tank where the PVC pipe enters?
    5. How large a sump go I need?
    6. Is it possible to build my own sump?
    7. What size pump do I need i.e. gph rating?
    8. What watt heater do I need?
    9. Do I need a bio-ball box?

1: depend on how much water is going to be draining out of the tank.. larger the bulkhead, more water(DUH!)
    2: twards the top.. if you do drill low then make sure you have a siphone break for your return pump to avoid flooding the sump.
    3:whatever size bulkhead u use.. return pump lines should always be smaller in diameter and the and the drains should be larger
    4: Attach the pipe to the bulkhead and glue it? i dont get it...
    5: Ive always gone as big as i could fit, just so i have room for any accessory that would wanted to be added later.. make sure you have enough space in the tank for a overflow of water, incase the return pump quits.
    6: Easily
    7: match it to your bulkheads.
    8:depends on total water volume
    9: whats bio-balls? lol JK... i know close to nothing about FW, but in my reef systems bio-balls were taken out in like 1998 and replaced with biological filtration... bio-balls are nitrate magnets..

if you need more specific help just LMK... i have a ~500g system running off of 1 return pump
    rwdillard
    rwdillard
    private
    private

Post by rwdillard Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Thank you turbovr3six for your reply.

I suppose now I need a visual. What I mean is that I don't get what the filer/sump system looks like.

I could always use another tank or a drum as the sump . But I don't get the filtration piece of it. Do you have pics? Or do you know where I can go to see an example?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 6:42 pm