Aquatics Anonymous

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aquatics Anonymous

The place fish-aholics come to feed their addiction!

+7
curtshan
MIKEJ02266
drudown66
lordraptor1
Raschael
steelhead
Storylover
11 posters

Any tips on getting cichlids to breed?

Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Any tips on getting cichlids to breed? Empty Any tips on getting cichlids to breed?

Post by Storylover Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:37 pm

I have two daffodil cichlids, and they are supposedly mated, but they have yet to breed in the six months that I have had them. And tips?
    steelhead
    steelhead
    Admin
    Admin

Any tips on getting cichlids to breed? Empty Re: Any tips on getting cichlids to breed?

Post by steelhead Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 pm

those apparently like a cave to spawn in so I would guess a flower pot would work also a lot of african cichlids you can trigger spawning by doing a WC and putting cold water backinto the tank this makes the fish think thee rainy season is here

and feed them worms and mysis or brine shrimp
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Any tips on getting cichlids to breed? Empty Re: Any tips on getting cichlids to breed?

Post by Storylover Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 pm

cold water huh... ill have to try that. I have read about it somewhere but i have never actually done that:) thanks
    Raschael
    Raschael
    private
    private

Post by Raschael Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Cold water definitely helps. My fish always get their groove on when we do water changes. Smile
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41 pm

yeah i usually warm up the water cuz i feel bad when i give em cold water, but i will try it next change which is tomorrow.
    Raschael
    Raschael
    private
    private

Post by Raschael Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am

I am sure this is common sense. . . but just in case. . . be sure the water is too cold, you don't want to shock the fish. Smile As long as there is only a couple degree difference in the whole tank by the time you are done, it should be good. Smile
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:15 am

nice to see some people jumping in to help cheers
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:21 am

be proud of your forum.

So I did the water change, and although the daffodils didn't dance, others did:D i was happy<3
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:28 am

damn i cant find a censor smiley
    LOL
    drudown66
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:37 am

steelhead wrote:those apparently like a cave to spawn in so I would guess a flower pot would work also a lot of african cichlids you can trigger spawning by doing a WC and putting cold water backinto the tank this makes the fish think thee rainy season is here

and feed them worms and mysis or brine shrimp

i agree. give them a pot of something they can feel save having their babies and youll b good to go lol. and im not for sure but i know with some breeds your need a few females per a male when trying to get the to breed cause once the male gets going he wont stop and she may die sad4. so i would say just kinda look into the breed you are trying to mate. then sit back and wait for your new babies lol smoking
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:43 am

yeah i looked in about the daffodil cichlids and they don't need a harem, but they do need a cave, which i do have a couple set up around the tank, and there is one cave in particular that they spend all the time in, just no babies for months:(
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:35 am

just be patient and i am sure it will happen eventually and for goodness sake quit watching them they would like some privacy when tehy are trying to get busy Laughing
    drudown66
    drudown66
    Admin
    Admin

Post by drudown66 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 am

well maybe they liked being watch!!!! lol dirty dance
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 am

drudown66 wrote:well maybe they liked being watch!!!! lol dirty dance

dont go there. lol!
    MIKEJ02266
    MIKEJ02266
    private
    private

Post by MIKEJ02266 Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Mine were breeding like rabbits so I pulled the cave out to slow them down and they spawned right on the glass. I put the cave back and now they won't even go in it. They are now spawning on driftwood. When they are ready and start you can't stop them I don't even pull the fry anymore and 10 to 15 still make it because they create a family clan. The larger fry will protect the smaller fry. Kinda funny watching a 1 inch fish chase away a 4 inch petricola.
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:58 pm

XD then i guess ill just wait for them:)
    curtshan
    curtshan
    private
    private

Post by curtshan Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:51 pm

All the cichlids I have are mouth brooders only my plecos require a cave. Storylover, best of luck on yours, a major water change always get my plecos in the mood...
    Raschael
    Raschael
    private
    private

Post by Raschael Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Good luck! Hope you get babies soon!!
    fish guy
    corporal
    corporal

Post by fish guy Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:27 pm

The best tip was the black worms and shrimp. Both are high in protien required for egg prdduction. Also do your H2O a couple days before a full moon.
    dukeonelove
    dukeonelove
    PFC
    PFC

Post by dukeonelove Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:21 pm

water changes is good
    tongareefer71
    private
    private

Any tips on getting cichlids to breed? Empty re cold water to induce spawn

Post by tongareefer71 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 pm

yes cooler water to induce,simulate spring,,,,,,BUT dont just say cold water,,if you did a 30% water change,,with cold water at 40 degrees f.,,you can drop water in tank from 80 to 60 degrees. THIS CAN KILL FISH, not being a jerk here, but perhaps it would be better info for people to say,,,feed heavy for 2 weeks with live/feozen foods, then over a weeks time do 3 20% water changes with water 10 degrees f. cooler than tank water. by simply saying cold water,,,problems can occur easily. hope this didnt make anyone mad. btw i breed marine fish, coral, catfish, african cichs from 3 lakes, discus, south and central cichs, and others for 20 plus years...not a newbie
    lordraptor1
    lordraptor1
    Admin
    Admin

Post by lordraptor1 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:29 pm

tongareefer71 wrote:yes cooler water to induce,simulate spring,,,,,,BUT dont just say cold water,,if you did a 30% water change,,with cold water at 40 degrees f.,,you can drop water in tank from 80 to 60 degrees. THIS CAN KILL FISH, not being a jerk here, but perhaps it would be better info for people to say,,,feed heavy for 2 weeks with live/feozen foods, then over a weeks time do 3 20% water changes with water 10 degrees f. cooler than tank water. by simply saying cold water,,,problems can occur easily. hope this didnt make anyone mad. btw i breed marine fish, coral, catfish, african cichs from 3 lakes, discus, south and central cichs, and others for 20 plus years...not a newbie

it might tonga but your point is well taken, it needs explained in a little better detail as to the appropriate water temp, etc. some people see colder water and may just try to fill a tank full of icewater.
    tongareefer71
    private
    private

Post by tongareefer71 Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 am

thanks,,wetwebmedia.com ran by pros like robert fenner, and steven pro is a help site that list some more options on getting fish to spawn and thanks raptor btw cant wait till spring to darter hunt around your area!
    Storylover
    Storylover
    corporal
    corporal

Post by Storylover Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:42 am

Yeah I'll take procotions with the water changes, and I will try the protein as a way to start these babies up.
    steelhead
    steelhead
    Admin
    Admin

Post by steelhead Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

ok well perhaps i should have been clearer but I keep my tanks at 82 and the water comes out of my tap at 70 year round unless I add a little hot water to it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:39 am